Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Baby Phat


Growing up a Middle Eastern child in Washington, DC in a predominatley African American culture, I adopted alot of norms that were not from my culture. For one, the style of dressing that I admired was not the traditional dressing from Jordan. As I became a teenager and attended Cardozo High School my style evolved into what I have come to learn as a part of the hip-hop culture.
My most admired clothing was "Baby Phat" which was initially started by Russell Simmons Phat Farm as an extention clothing line by his ex-wife Kimora Lee Simmons. My style of dressing became a culture shock to my family, for they viewed the type of wear as being African American inspired. However it was, but it was what I come to know as my SWAG. When I first started this class I was totally blind to the hip-hop culture and I thought I had no affiliation. But little to know the clothing that I wore, was inspired from the hip-hop culture. Hip-hop has become so globalized that aspects of the culture has been embraced by many cultures.

3 comments:

  1. It is very interesting to hear about your culture and how you changed by living among African Americans. I think I noticed this while being in the class. You look like Middle East people, but your thinking and opinions close related to African Americans. That's great! I wish I could have had this experience in my life.
    Yes, This class is very interesting and has lots of good stories about Hi-Hop cutlure. Now, I know what to say to my friends about Hip-Hop, since it is becoming very populat among East Asian people as well!

    Thanks for sharing!!!

    -Azis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great article Fly Sky and how brave of you to self disclose about your cultural background. The United States has been considered the melting pot of all nationalities,which means a variety of cultures will meet and their differences will be shared. What you've experienced,is what the study of anthropology considers to be cultural assimilation which is simply adopting the norms of the culture in which your in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you had Hip-Hop in you:) Plus you know what SWAG means. Good story though . . . Baby Phat is definitely Hip-Hop. I'm sure you have some interesting HS stories on how people perceived you. I'd say your value system and the youthful Hip-Hop 'value' system don't have a lot of crossover:) I'm sure that confuses people.

    ReplyDelete